1941 (Dec. 1 – Dec. 15)

Bea Bryan Denham 230[…the continuing 1941 diary of Sicily Island, Louisiana native, Bea Bryan Denham. References to WWII are in red.]

December 1, Monday

Cloudy and cooler.

Mrs. Boyett and I washed all our clothes today, and I’m about all in.  She made squirrel gumbo for me, and I worked on that coffee table mat, so it’s completed.  We played dominoes with Walter.  Had a letter from Kidd.  Earl got the paraphernalia for the urine test from the life insurance company.  Today for the first time it seems Russia has the Germans retreating, while England has the same fine luck in Lybia.  This war has got to be routine to us, since we are not yet experiencing the awfulness nor the heartbreak of it.

December 2, Tuesday

Warm, partly cloudy

Had a letter from Faye and wrote to Mamma and Marcia.  John, Mrs. Boyett and Edna have all been here today, also Mrs. Brown, but I ironed all the things I had, and we went to town, I had several little things to do.  We read “The D. A. Cooks a Goose” tonight.  Earl got in a little earlier.  England isn’t doing so well in Africa today, but the Russians are running the Germans in Russia a little.  The days drag so, I am embroidering some trying to line up a few things for Christmas.  I wrote to Faye, too.  Mrs. Boyett sent Jo Anne candy, and a bowl of chili, which she enjoyed.

December 3, Wednesday

Cloudy , warm

I had to go to town for a few things, and that takes the most important part of the day.  I started a new piece to embroider, when I’ve got magazines just crying to be read.  Earl went to get a haircut, and we saw “Sun Valley Serenade.”  It was fair.  Sonja Henie is so innocent and fresh looking and skates so well the show would be bound to enhance its value on her account, but the plot was more than thin.  It’s a rush to get to bed early enough to get eight hours sleep.  We got our Bank statement, — have saved $320.00.

December 4, Thursday

Warm and sunny

I have felt simply awful all day, embroidered over to Mrs. Boyett’s nearly all day.  I didn’t feel like going to the Bank with Earl and Jo Anne, so they went, and Walter came and played dominoes.  We got a card from Cecil saying the baby came Tuesday, the 2nd, a boy, named Dewitt Lee, weighed 8 ¾ pounds.  I’m so glad it’s over, and I do hope they get along nicely.  I surely would like to go home and see them, but guess we will have to wait til Sunday after next.  Oh, I do hope they have good luck with this baby.

December 5, Friday


I ordered Christmas things $41.12 today, which is almost everything except Jo Anne’s – I wrote Margaret, Mamma, and Aunt Leona.  We bought the weeks supply of groceries, and I went to see about Daddy’s hat.  Also got Time and read the most of it.  We read the new Post, and Earl came in with a headache, so we are turning in early.

December 6, Saturday

I washed all the things we had dirty this morning, and after I got cleaned up, started to work on that embroidery.  I don’t believe I’ll ever get it all done by Christmas but I’ll try.  I’ll be glad when the things come so I can tell what I have, and still have to get.  Rosemary came last night, so she’s been over several times, and after supper she and John both came, we went to town and to the show, “Buy Me That town,” – not much.  We enjoyed it though, but its surely put us into bed late, nearly eleven now.

December 7, Sunday

Cool and sunny.

Today I cleaned up early and Mr. and Mrs. Boyett, Jo Anne and I rode up to Haynesville, — the country was so pretty, — dark green pines and the flaming red of gum and sumac, then all the varying shades from bright yellow to deep brown, it was such a peaceful happy looking country that I felt happier than for a long time, then when I came home I thought of the beautiful music we often have on Sunday afternoon, and turned on the radio to hear, “Japan has bombed the Philippines and Hawaiian Islands,” – such a rude awakening to cold reality.  Its WAR now, to the death.  This is no longer an oasis in a world of war, its total, and there’s no telling where it will end.  I could cry my eyes out.

December 8, Monday

Cold, but sunny

Today Mrs. Boyett came over and we listened the whole day to the radio.  To Roosevelt, when he asked for a declaration of War against Japan.  I wanted Earl and Jo Anne to hear it so badly, and when they came home, the school had had a radio, so Jo Anne heard it, and the company put the speech on the public address system, so Earl got to hear it, too.  Somehow I only feel numb, and as if I were having a nightmare, and will soon awake.  We are entering on very dark days and perhaps years.  We were born too early or too late, — war in our childhood, wildness and shifting sand in our youth, depression and war in our fruitful years.  What a life of varied emotions and experiences we will have!  Letters from Mamma, Margaret and Velma.

December 9, Tuesday

Cold, sunny

I worked on the Christmas presents, then went to town and mailed letters to Mamma, Margaret, Velma, Mrs. Peck, Kidd and Love.  Ate sandwiches with Mrs. Boyett, then when I went for the mail my package with the Christmas presents in it had come, so she came over and we opened it.  Most other things I ordered came.  I guess I’ll try to wrap them right away.  Mr. and Mrs. Boyett came over and waited to hear Roosevelt talk.  It’s so depressing and unreal.  Had a letter from Florelle today, Al (?) is out of the army, but of course he will have to go right back.  She seemed awfully blue and discouraged.

December 10, Wednesday

Cold, sunny

I spent the day at Mrs. Boyett’s working on Christmas presents.  Had letters from Love and Julia.  Poor Love, she is worried sick over the war, and thinking her boy may have to go.  Julia didn’t have much to say.  Jo Anne came home with a sore throat, so we went to town to get something to mop it with. Earl read the new “Trouble is My Master” in the Post to us.  The war news is not encouraging. The Japs have landed troops on Luzon.  Oh, what will all this war turn out to be!  It’s so discouraging.  They are going to register from 17 to 44 for military service, to 65 for Civilian Defense.

December 11, Thursday

Cold and raining

Jo Anne wasn’t able to go to school, so I’ve embroidered and she’s read, most of the day.  Germany and Italy declared war on us today, which is a good thing, there will be no more hedging.  Letter from Marcia, they have had another death in her family.  And a letter from Daisy, also one from Mamma.  I wrote to Florelle, Minnie Lee and Daisy.  Earl was tired when he came in, but he went to the Bank.  I ordered Jo Anne’s Christmas things.  We made candy for the lunches.

December 12, Friday

Cold and raining

I went to town and bought groceries and Christmas wrappings, then spent the rest of the day getting my packages wrapped. Everything I ordered came except Jo Anne’s dress.  Still I have nothing for her.  Mamma said Earl’s “Audubon’s Bird Book” came.  I think I’ll go home Sunday.  Mrs Boyett went today.  I’m still working on those presents I must make, but it’s so very slow.

December 13, Saturday

Cold, but no rain.

The war news is getting a little more encouraging.  I took Mrs. Boyett and Edna to town, and I bought Jo Anne’s teacher and two friends presents.  We finished wrapping them all today, and I got together the thing I wanted to take home.  I guess Jo Anne and I will go home.  I read “Trouble is My Master” to Earl and Jo Anne.

December 14, Sunday

Cold, but sunny

Jo Anne, Mrs. Boyett and I left at 7:30 this morning.  We stopped in Monroe for her to see her sister, then stopped a few minutes at Lil’s.  When we got home, Mamma went to Kidd’s with us.  Joe said he’d rather stay by the fire and read.  We had dinner there, Jo Anne rode the horse, and we went to Margaret’s – The baby is pretty – she looks well, too.  We went to Julia’s and to our house a few minutes, and got a away at 4:15.  Stopped at Lora’s a few minutes, got here at 7:45.  Gee I’m tired, but I was awfully glad to get back, it may be a tent, but ”home is where the heart is.”

December 15th, Monday

Cold, but sunny

Washed, ironed, mopped, cleaned generally.  Letters from Velma and Faye — I started fixing Christmas cards.  Tonight Mr. and Mrs. Boyett came over, and so did Edna and Walter, to listen to Roosevelt talk. It was so late before he came on, –10 to 10, that they all left but we stayed up to hear him, he was part of a program on the 150th anniversary of the signing of the Bill of Rights.  Earl Walter and I played dominoes after the others left.  The time is getting awfully short, I’m afraid I won’t get it all done for Christmas.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s